We at McCarthy Accounting & Taxes hope you had a joyful and healthy 2022 and we want to send out a cheer to the new year and new beginnings! We also want to mention how grateful we are for your continued support over the years. Our fantastic team of Tresa, Dave, Lois and Courtney remain intact. We even welcomed two new wonderful team members: Jade and Amanda!
We are now utilizing our online portal called TaxDome. This secure portal has many features including file sharing of documents, messaging with us, paying bills, e-signing tax forms and much more! There’s a secure mobile app you can download to your phone or you can access it by going to our website. To make sure you are registered, please contact our office and we can email you an invitation. This will be the last paper newsletter that we will be sending out. Please be sure you stay connected through the online portal! (We can still provide you with a paper copy of your tax return if you wish.)
Once you’re logged into our online portal, it will be necessary that new and existing clients fill out our brief questionnaire. It should only take you about 10 – 15 minutes to fill out. At the end of the questionnaire, you will have the option to fill out a detailed organizer as well if you choose but it’s not required.
There is checklist in your Documents section of your online portal but, if you happen to opt out of it, please see below for a generic checklist of documents that you might need to set aside in order for us to complete your taxes depending on your circumstances.
- _ W-2’s
- _ 1099 (Int / Div. / NEC / Misc.)
- _ 1099B (Documents from Stockbrokers)
- _ 1099 SSA (Social Security)
- _ 1095 A (Marketplace) or B/C (If given by employer)
- _ 1099-G from Unemployment Benefits
- __ Record of Estimated Tax Payments
The standard deductions for tax year 2022 have gone up: 12,950 for Single, 25,900 for MFJ, and 19,400 for HOH. If your itemized deductions last year were more than these amounts, you may send:
- _ Real Estate Tax amount
- _ Medical/Dental Insurance and/or Expenses
- _ Charitable Contribution (Monetary or Material)
- _ 1098 (Mortgage Interest)
Please inform us if your filing status or any exemptions have changed. In addition, if you have had any other financial transactions (i.e.: sale of house or stocks) that occurred during the year.
Once you have collected all the necessary paperwork, please mail it in, drop it by for us, or upload the documents to the portal and we can begin a review and start your return. If you had any significant changes, or would like to make an appointment, please give us a call and we will be happy to schedule a meeting for you with your tax preparer. We look forward to connecting with you soon!
With warm regards,
McCarthy Accounting and Taxes
Due Dates for Tax Year 2022
- The final ‘Estimated Tax Payment’ for the tax year of 2022 is due by Jan 17, 2023.
- The IRS will start accepting personal tax returns in late January/Early February 2023.
- Forms W-2 and 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC (with box 7) are due on Jan 31st, 2023.
- Earned Income Credit & Advanced Child Tax Credit: no refund issued before mid-February 2023.
- Tax returns and payments are due on or before Tuesday, April 18th, 2023.
- We encourage you to sign up for our new portal, TaxDome. This will help us, help you! You will get status updates on where your tax return is at in the pipeline and more emailed communications to help us make your tax experience as smooth as possible!
- This will be the last paper newsletter that we will be sending out. If you choose to opt out of using the portal, please keep this newsletter for your future checklist.
- In the near future, we will be collecting deposits for tax preparation prior to completion of your tax return. For this year, we are asking that payment be remitted at the time you receive your tax return. We will not be able to e-file your return until payment is received in full or an auto-pay payment plan is agreed upon.